Preparing Students for the REAL World
Whether you dream of becoming an astronaut or an architect ...a doctor or a veterinarian ...a fashion designer or a Web site designer ... Sanford Middle School has a program just for you. Here, students participating in REAL (Readiness & Exploration in Advanced Learning) will learn and experience more in the specialty areas of math, science and technology than students at other schools.
An Environment of Discovery
Sanford Middle School is dedicated to preparing students for the future in an environment of investigation and discovery that is challenging ... culturally diverse ... project based ... and technology-infused. Our intensive academic program, coupled with our extra and co-curricular opportunities, provides a wonderful vehicle to teach and develop the skills necessary to succeed - not only in school, but also in life.
A Facility That's Out of This World
Sanford Middle School has created a technology-rich learning environment that features state-of-the-art math and science laboratories,including:
- International Space Station Lab, equipped with different stations including hydroponics, aquaculture, aeroponics, robotics, lasers and satellites, and global positioning
- One-of-a-kind Flight Simulation Lab, where students will learn basic aerodynamics, aircraft systems, instrumentation, navigation, weather, air traffic control, aviation regulations and pilot skills.
High School International Baccalaureate Diploma Program
For highly motivated, college-bound students, the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program at Seminole High School offers college-level coursework that provides a distinct competitive edge. The program teaches students how to learn, analyze and reflect on what they know. Through in-depth study and interdisciplinary coursework, students develop an appreciation for people, their languages and literature, history and the physical world.
To help ensure success in this rigorous and demanding program, Seminole County Public Schools has implemented a comprehensive 6th - 12th grade continuum where coursework is integrated and sequential ... so that students can leverage learning to their maximum advantage.
Sanford Middle School is an integral part of that continuum.
As a preparatory strand for the IB Program, Sanford Middle School offers an extensive course of study in math, science, foreign language, social studies and language arts - with an emphasis on independent study, in-depth learning and accelerated curriculum requirements. Our program moves at a vigorous pace ... integrating creativity, problem-solving, higher-order thinking skills, communication, leadership, planning and goal-setting, and research. Students who participatein this program are required to take foreign language.
- Algebra I Honors* & II Honors*
- Geometry I Honors*
- Biology I Honors*
- Biotechnology I & II
- Pre-Aeronautics I, II, & III
- Pre-Space I, II, & III
- Pre-Engineering I, II, & III
- Pre-Architecture I, II, & III
- Pre-Medical I, II, & III
- Pre-Veterinary I, II, & III
- Marine Biology I & II
- Video Production I, II, & III
- Computer Applications
- Graphic Arts and Design
- Fashion/Interior Design
- Digital Photography
- Desktop Publishing
- Network Systems - A+ Preparatory Training - Web Page Design - Programming
- Tech Prep - Building Construction - Combustion Engines
- Pre-IB Spanish I*
- Beginning and Intermediate Spanish
- Journalism - Yearbook & Newspaper
- Drama I & II
- Band I, II, & III
- Jazz Band
- Chorus I, II, & III
- Musical Keyboarding
- Art I & II
- Cartooning & Caricatures
- Speech & Debate
- Future Teachers
* High School Credit
- Court, field & individual sports
- Air Force JROTC
- Physical Fitness
- Weight Training
- Dance I & II